Thursday, October 23, 2008

A change in plans

With my oldest a senior, my youngest a pre-schooler, and three students in between, I've had to do things differently this year. During the summer when I was planning for this schoolyear I thought I'd be doing unit studies each week with my 2 younger boys using Five in a Row and Beyond FIAR., but only a few weeks into it and discovered that realistically it was just going to be too much for me.

A few weeks ago I found Time 4 Learning , an online Math, LA, science and Social Studies curriculum. They have a 14 day free trial at their website so we tried it and found that the kids really like it. Isaiah and Christian are using the Math, LA and Science. Here is a quote from their website:" Time4Learning is a new approach that takes advantage of today's technology. It's a convenient, online home education program that combines learning with fun educational teaching games. " I still sit with Christian through most of the lessons, but Isaiah is becoming much more independent, which he really needs to be at 12 yo. It also has reports that I can print out.

For History, I purchased TruthQuest History Age of Revolution II: America/Europe, 1800-1865 and I am thrilled with it! I get to do what I love -reading great books aloud to my kids! They give book suggestions for grades 1-12, so I'm using the same guide for 3 of my kids. Although, for Christian, I may purchase the American History curriculum they make that's specifically geared for younger students in grades 1-5. It's great because I can get most of the books at my local library.

I will still do some unit studies and lapbooking/notebooking with my younger students this year, but now I don't have the pressure of keep up with it all year long. I do have other things going on in my life, too! :).

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you found something that works for you. I have a friend who also uses time4learning and loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great to have the freedom to adjust and adapt and change things around? Glad you found something that works for you!

    ReplyDelete