Thursday, May 21, 2009

Next year's curriculum

I am so ready for school to be over and summer vacation to begin! I have to admit that I haven't been "into" doing school these last couple of weeks. But I am so excited next year's curriculum. Here is what I'm sure we'll be using:

Andrew (graduated):
Andrew is taking a year off before college. He'll probably take a couple college courses, though. It looks like he has a couple of small jobs. Starting in the fall, he'll be teaching a speech class and and a theater class. He's also gives guitar lessons at home.

Charles (11th grade):
Chemistry-Apologia
History-SOS (Alpha Omega Switched on Schoolhouse)
Language Arts-SOS
Computer Programming
Algebra 2-maybe Teaching Textbooks or Saxon (he want's to use a different math curriculum)
Bible-SOS
not sure what else

Isaiah (8th grade):
Language Arts-SOS
Math-(thinking about Saxon)
General Science-Apologia
History-SOS and Truthquest
Bible-SOS
not sure what else

Christian (4th grade):
Heart of Dakota Publishing
This is the main curriculum Christian will be using and I am so excited about it! The teachers guide has all the lesson plans laid out for you. I heard about HOD from Kristy at G.L.O.W. Homeschool. Here is what's covered in the curriculum:
  • History Notebooking
  • Geography Lessons
  • Timeline Entries
  • Vocabulary Study
  • Art projects
  • Narration Practice
  • History Activities
  • Classic Poetry: reading, study & copywork
  • Bible Study
  • Biblical Character Trait Focus
  • Devotions
  • Bible Memory Work from Proverbs
  • Gross Motor Skills
  • Classic Hymns
  • Spelling: word lists/dictation
  • Grammar and Writing Lessons using the text Preparing to Build: English 2(christian will use 3 or 4)
  • Cursive Handwriting Choices
  • Reading Choices
  • Storytime Genre Studies
  • Guided Literature Discussion
  • Story Element Lessons
  • Godly Character Lessons
  • Math Exploration
  • Biographical and Living Book Science Readings
  • Science Experiments
  • Science Notebooking
Sophie (age 4):
Sophie will probably listen in while I'm teaching Christian, especially during the read-alouds. I think I'll start Kindergarten with her this year even though she's only 4. I might start her this summer when I won't be teaching the boys.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you were able to find awnsers to your questions! I know it took me a while to figure out all that was needed for HOD. I am SO glad that I spent the time, we already started next years program and LOVE it! I just blogged about it some more. People are going to think I am a rep for HOD or something. lol. I enjoy your blog very much. It is encouraging to see what other families are doing and finding new things to implement in our own lives.

    ReplyDelete