Monday, July 22, 2013

2013-2014 homeschool curriculum

I've been planning for the upcoming new school year and  I am very excited! I am re-reading parts of The Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola. It is my all time favorite homeschooling book! It is a good sized book that thoroughly explains the Charlotte Mason Method and is filled with practical ideas and examples. I first read it when my oldest son was in 4th grade (he is 21 now) and every year I add something more to our homeschool from what I learned.  Last year it was picture study (famous paintings) and this year we will add composers/classical music appreciation. We've always used lot of  living books, narration and copywork. We will try nature notebooks again- when we get out in nature and draw what we find. We've tried this a number of times and it always fizzles out. But this year will be different! This is Isaiah's senior year and he will do online classes and has a tutor for Algebra II. This is what I have planned for curriculum:

Isaiah/12th grade:
Chemistry -www.khanacademy.com
Algebra II -tutor
Government- online class
economics- online class
English-online class
cooking/life skills -with me
Spanish-library website course

Christian/8th grade:
Math-Teaching Textbooks
Writting-IEW
Science-Sonlight 4 with Sophie
History-The Mystery of History Vol 1( second half) and Sonlight 3 read-alouds with Sophie and I
Copywork/dictation-from sonlight books and the Bible
Nature Notebook
Picture study-study each artist's paintings for 6 weeks
Composers/classical music-listen to one composer's music for 8 or 9 weeks.
Typing-free online
Geography-Charlotte Mason style and online games
Piano-I heard there are lessons for free on DonnaYoung.org. I need to look into this.
Greek and Latin Roots-Rummy Roots game
Drawing-Drawing Textbook

Sophie/3rd grade:
Learning Language Arts Though Literature 3rd grade (second half)
Spelling-Sequential Spelling 1
Math-U-See Foundations (this is the old book that I heard I can still get on the MUS website)
Handwriting/copywork- from Sonlight books
Writing-beginning IEW with  Asops fables
History-Sonlight 3 Readers and Read-Alouds
Science-Sonlight 4
Geography-Charlotte Mason style and online games
Piano-I heard there are lessons for free on DonnaYoung.org. I need to look into this.
Greek and Latin Roots-Rummy Roots game
Nature Notebook
Picture study-study each artist's paintings for 6 weeks
Composers/classical music-listen to one composer's music for 8 or 9 weeks.
Drawing-Mark Kistler's Draw Squad

No comments:

Post a Comment