Friday, April 11, 2008

Heart of the Matter: How I got started homeschooling

Today's Heart of the Matter Meme is to share how we got started homeschooling.

My husband was the one who first wanted us to homeschool our kids. When we were a young married couple we knew of 3 families who had homeschooled their kids all the way through high school. Two of the families had kids who had already gone off to college. These families had raised confident young people, and we admired them.

I knew that I would be the one doing most of the teaching, and at the time I did not feel confident that I could do it. Even when my oldest was three years old I started feeling like we should send him to pre-school. He did end up going for one day, but my husband and I felt like we were making a mistake and decided to teach him at home instead.

We lived in a condo during that time and there was a condo near us that had been vacant a long time. I remember praying often that just the right family would move in. Well, the family that eventually bought the place were homeschoolers. We became friends with them and they kept encouraging me that I could teach my kids. And the rest is history :). Homeschooling isn't for everyone, but it's been the best choice for us.

1 comment:

  1. That is neat that you had homeschoolers as neighbors who could encourage you in your homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete