Friday, June 20, 2008
Heart of the Matter: tried and true recipes
Today's heart of the Matter Meme is share your Tried and True Recipes. I know I've posted this recipe recently, but it's such an easy yummy crockpot recipe that I'm posting it again. Check out Heart of the Matter for more recipes.
Crockpot Beef Stew
2lbs of beef chuck or stew meat, cut in 1 inch cubes ( I cut them smaller and I usually use less meat)
1/4 cup flour ( I use 1/2 cup)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups beef broth ( I use 4 or 5 cups water and 2 bullion cubes)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (I use 2 tsp.)
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. paprika
4 carrots sliced (I use 6)
3 potatoes, diced ( I use 6 )
2 onions chopped ( I use 1)
1 stalk celery, sliced ( I use 2)
Place meat in crock pot. Mix flour, salt and pepper and pour over meat, stir to coat meat with flour. Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix well. Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours. (High 4-6 hours) Stir stew thoroughly before serving.
This is my favorite cookie recipe:
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip and Peanut Butter Cookies
* 3/4 cup butter
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1/3 cup peanut butter
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 2 cups rolled oats
* 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the peanut butter, water and vanilla. Combine the flour and baking soda, stir into the creamed mixture. Finally, stir in the rolled oats and chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an unprepared cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cookies are lightly toasted on the edges. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on wire racks.