Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A homeschooling day 3/24/09

7:30-Read Bible stories to Sophie and make/drink coffee.
8:00- I wake up boys, start eggs and toast for breakfast, and settle an argument between Christian and Sophie.
Everyone eats breakfast. Christian reads a story he wrote to Sophie and Charles, Isaiah plays the keyboard and Andrew showers then works on his senior project presentation (due next week).
8:30-I get laundry started, the three older boys clean up kitchen then do morning routine. Christian reads books to Sophie.
9:00-. Hubby asks me to run to the store and I'm grateful for a few moments by myself to pray and think about the day ahead of me.
9:30-When I get back, my youngest two are playing nicely, two of my boys are reading their Bibles, and my oldest is working on his senior project. I take a quick shower and clean up the bathroom. I help youngest two with morning routine (make bed, brush teeth, wash up, get dressed).
10:15-One of my best friends calls. I haven't talked to her in at least a month (she lives in a different state) so I chatted for a few minutes and asked her to call back in the afternoon.
10:30-I sit down with Sophie to do lesson 4 in Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. It was very enjoyable. I love that book-it brings back wonderful memories from when I used it with my boys. Christian works on a story he's writing, Isaiah reads, Charles practices guitar, and Andrew continues working on Senior Project.
11:00-This is the time I would normally do our unit study with Isaiah and Christian but boys are hungry and there's not much to eat in the house (I've been so busy lately) so I take youngest kids with me to get groceries for the week. While I'm gone Charles reads a book on Abraham Lincoln. Andrew keeps working on his project.
1:00-When we get back, we have lunch and put groceries away. Andrew goes to the school to meet with his Senior project mentor. A package comes in the mail for Christian. It's the next Skippyjon Jones book he's been waiting for! He reads it to Sophie and they plan the next play (Christian likes to have the whole family act in plays based on his favorite books).
2:00-I help Isaiah with Math, Charles does History/Geograpghy using Switched on Schoolhouse on the computer then his Algebra , Sophie and Christian draw pictures.
3:00-I talk to SOS tech support for at least a 1/2 hour about a problem we are having with Switched on Schoolhouse, Christian and Sophie play keyboard, Isaiah finishes a book he's been reading.
4:00-I do more laundry, Isaiah and Christian go outside to play (I think everyone would've gotten outside more today if it wasn't so cold and windy), Charles works on SOS Language Arts, Sophie plays with Daddy.
4:30-I start dinner and talk on the phone with my friend, the boys do jobs around the house, Sophie falls asleep on the couch.
5:00-I spend time with hubby.
5:30-I take Charles driving for the first time at a vacant parking lot down the street, Andrew practices guitar for a talent show audition, and Christian and Isaiah play Wii Music.
6:00-I make an angel food cake and we eat dinner. Andrew leaves for talent show audition.
6:45-I help Christian with math, Sophie plays with animal stencils, Isaiah finishes a math page, Charles reads a book Andrew picked up for him at the library today. Then we all have cake.
7:30-9:30 In the evening the kids draw, read, play quitar & keyboard, and play video games. I spend time with hubby.
9:30 kids get ready for bed. I read to Sophie and Christian before bed.
That's our day!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely, relaxed day! (can a day with a hs mom be relaxed? ;)LOL )

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny: before I read the comments I was already thinking this sounds like a relaxing day! Even though you clearly stayed busy and productive the entire day. Hmmm.... the mysteries of homeschooling, I guess! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been a while since I popped in and I am so glad I did! I love this post! It is always nice to read about a day in the life of another homeschooler! Thank you for sharing your day. BTW, your son looks like he did an awesome job on his senior project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this! It is easy sometimes to think that "everyone else" starts their homeschool days at 8 am and has three subjects done by 10:30 and lunch promptly at noon and accomplishes everything they set out to do almost every schoolday... I like reading about days like this! Makes me feel better about ours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH I love to see into others days! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful day :O) busy momma!
    I loved 100 easy lessons to reading too!

    blessings to you and yours :O)

    ReplyDelete