Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Making foods from scratch-saving money on groceries

I'm trying to cut our grocery bill in half.  I just spend way too much of our money at the grocery store!  One of the things I'm doing in making much of our food from scratch.  I already make all our deserts and muffins, but now I've added bread, pizza crust, and granola to the foods I always make from scratch.  I love my Kitchen-Aid mixer. I strongly recommend getting one if you're able to.  I purchased a  refurbished one on E-bay a couple years ago and I use it almost everyday.

White bread recipe:
2 C. water
1 Pkg. yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. sugar
2 1/2 Tbs. oil
4 1/2 C. flour *
Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of lukewarm water (between 110-115 degrees).  Add salt, sugar, oil, 1 1/2 cup water and 2 cups flour  Mix with a mixer. ( I use my kitchen-Aid mixer w/ dough hook)  Add remaining flour and stir with a spoon until it is no longer sticky.  *I add at least 2 more cups of flour-add a half cup of flour at a time until dough no longer sticks to the side of the bowl.  
Put dough on a floured surface and knead for about 2 minutes ( or continue using kitchen-aid mixer).  Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease all sides.  Cover with waxed paper or a dish towel for about one hour.  Divide into 2 portions and knead into loaves.  Place in greased 9"X5" loaf pans.  Let rise, covered, to top of pan, about 1 hour.  Bake  at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.  

Granola recipe: (this is so easy and my family loves it!)
1/4 C. oil
1/4 cup  honey or 1/4 cup brown sugar w/2 -3 Tabl. water (mix till liquid)
5 C. rolled oats
Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
Combine oil, and honey in mixing bowl.  Measure oil first, then honey will pour easily out of measuring cup.)  Add oats and stir.  Bake on a shallow pan for 30 minutes.  Let cool.  
After baking, you may add one or more of the following to suit your taste:
coconut
nuts: chopped almonds, walnuts or pecans 
seeds
raisins
cranberries

1 comment:

  1. I have been trying to do the same thing ~Thanks for passing on the recipes! :-)

    ReplyDelete