Thursday, June 18, 2009

Looking Back Over 12 Years of Homeschooling (part 3)

Fourth grade-
At the beginning of this year I learned about the Charlotte Mason method through reading my all-time favorite homeschooling book The Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola. I started incorporating some of these ideas in our homeschool. I found out though that this method worked really well with Charles and Isaiah, but Andrew did better using traditional workbooks. Although, he really wanted to do school on the computer, and I'm glad we found Alpha Omega's Switched on Schoolhouse the following year.

Andrew spent lots of time writing stories, reading, drawing, and playing outdoors with his brothers and the neighborhood kids. At nine years old Andrew had an interest in politics. He went on a field trip to the state capital and even met the governor!  That was the year that Al Gore and George W. Bush were running for President. I remember Andrew staying up with us till the wee hours of the morning waiting to find out the outcome of that crazy election!

Andrew has always been gifted in Language Arts but he has had some trouble with math throughout the years. There were many days that year that he would end up in tears when he was learning long division and other mathematical concepts. Sometimes I just needed to give him a break from it for a number of weeks, then he did just fine with it when we picked it up again.

Even though I loved homeschooling, I had some days that year that I seriously wondered if we should send Andrew to school. Once again, my husband was there to encourage me to keep going, and I'm so glad we did! We are a very close family and I know homeschooling has had a lot to do with it.

to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment