Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Our Day 10/20/09

Our monthly mom's homeschool group will be sharing what a homeschool day for each of us is like. Tuesday Oct. 20th was chosen to be the day we tell about. Here is my day:

7:00 am-7:30 am
The only time I set my alarm is when my kids (or I) need to be somewhere in the morning. Today I set my alarm for 6:30 because Charles' American Lit class was meeting at 8:30 to listen to a dramatized version of The Scarlet Letter on CD. I shut the alarm off and woke up at 7:00. Sophie woke up to a bad dream (very rare) and wanted me to come play with her to get her mind off it. So, after we prayed together, we played horsies, tea party and dolls.

7:30 am-8:30 am
I woke the rest of the kids and the older boys showered, then did their morning jobs. I started making bread so it would be ready for lunchtime, then I made pancakes for breakfast. Sophie often helps me when I'm baking, but Isaiah had an orthodontist appointment at 10:30 so I had to hurry. I put on for her to play and Christian listed to a book on CD. After breakfast, Andrew drove Charles to his American Lit. class. We said a quick prayer together before they left.

8:30 am-10:00 am
Isaiah did his math, Sophie and Christian cut out big ears for characters in for a Skippy Jon Jones play they are working on, and I showered and got ready for the day. After that I helped Christian and Sophie with their morning routine.

I've been determined to have the younger kids help more consistently around the house. My older boys help me so much with the daily cleaning, that I usually just let the younger ones play. But I know my older boys are so helpful because I've had them help with the housework since they were young. Anyway, I've been having Sophie and Christian help me clean up the bathroom and start the laundry in the mornings, but I was in a hurry and decided to do it myself. Plus, Christian had found a box of Lego instructions and he was so excited to put together one of his older Lego sets. :)

10:00 am-12:30 pm
Isaiah, Sophie and I left for Isaiah's orthodontist app. It was a 1/2 hr. drive so, we listened to The Story of the World Vol.3 on CD. While in the waiting room, I did Sophie's Reading lesson with her. While I was gone, Andrew had put the risen bread dough in the oven for me. We had chicken salad sandwiches for lunch.

12:30 pm-3:00 pm
After lunch, Christian completed his math and Grammar lessons on, Sophie painted pictures, Isaiah read for a while then did other schoolwork, and Andrew worked on music for a Radio Theater class he is co-teaching. I started a large batch of pasta sauce in the Crockpot. We used some for dinner, and I put the rest in the freezer for another day.
When Christian was finished with the computer, Isaiah got on to work on his online Language course and typing practice, Christian read books to Sophie, and I spent time with hubby. Then I looked at recipes online.

3:00 pm-5:00 pm
Isaiah and I ran an errand, then we picked up Charles from work. Charles usually works 2 or 3 days a week for a family who go to our church. Hubby cooked the pasta while I was gone, so we all sat down and ate dinner as soon as we got home.

5:00 pm-6:30 pm
After dinner, Hubby suggested that we all go to some fields near our house. The kids enjoyed just running around in the field. We had fun playing catch with the football and kicking the soccer ball around. Charles was the only one who couldn't come, he went to one of his last Drivers Ed classes.

6:30 pm-8:00 pm
I was tired when I got home, but Christian had run into the house without realizing that he had stepped in dog poo, so I had to sweep and wet swiffer the floors. After that, I sat down with a cup of hot chocolate and read a novel. The boys did the dishes then they took turns on the computer. Sophie fell asleep on the couch and I carried her to bed.

8:00 pm-10:30 pm
We watched Shark Tank on TV. Charles got home from Drivers Ed class. He was excited that he got an 86% on his final test-the second highest score in his class! Isaiah has been earning money lately, and he had the idea to have a pizza delivered (something we never do). I ate 2 1/2 slices and was stuffed! I finished cleaning up the kitchen,then we all joined hands and had an awesome prayer time! I read a few verses from the Bible that hubby had reminded me of before falling asleep. By 10:30 everyone was in bed.


  1. Wow! That was quite a day! Very detailed! And by the sounds of it... you won't be getting the award for Nightmare day! :) You are such a great mom and wife! you are a blessing to me!

  2. Busy day! I say it every time, but I love these sort of posts. Seems like we never have a 'typical' day - there is always somewhere to go or some interruption.

    I love the time in the field. The trees look so pretty and the running around and playing sounds nice. :)

    I've only seen that shark tank show once but I really liked the one I saw!

  3. I am exhausted reading this! LOL
    The dog poo in the shoes-classic and stinky! Thanks for adding your name to my Garden of Ideas Meme. I have you on the blog roll now too! Blessings-
    What's in the Box?

  4. Thanks, Sam! You're a blessing to me, too!