Wednesday, July 4, 2007

waiting untill kids are ready...

Something I think I've been pretty good at in our home school is not pushing the kids to learn something just because it's the age they are "supposed" to be doing it.

For example, when my now 13 yo son was in K-2nd grade he hated reading. He liked to be read to, but he didn't want to learn how to read. He also didn't have the fine motor skills to begin writing. I didn't push him.

For kindergarten I used Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons. It has 15 minute lessons that you can snuggle on the couch with your child and do. For handwritting, I allowed him to write giant letters instead of having to write within tiny lines that most handwritting courses use.

In 1st and 2nd grade he had some we played homemade phonics games and read lots of "I can read" books. In third grade he read the entire Redwall series on his own, many of the books are 400 pages! Since then he has been an avid reader.

Another example is when my oldest son was in 4th grade, he just couldn't understand long division. He would cry and get so frustrated. So, I just dropped it for a while. When he was ready he picked it up easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment