Friday, January 4, 2008

learning to read

Daddy is teaching Sophie to write lowercase letters.


I was thinking about my post the other day about our kids learning to read at a young age. In our family two of our boys showed an interest in words and reading when they were really young. But for my other two sons, reading didn't really "click" until about 3rd grade. I think every child is different and a child who learns to read later can be just as good at reading as someone who is reading at age 3 or 4.

My second son, Charles, hated learning to read. He loved being read to, and at age 3 he sat through the entire Little House series, and many other chapter books I read to him, but he thought the stories for beginner readers were dumb. He just plain did not want to read, "see Jane run" or any of the simplistic books for beginners. At the beginning of third grade, just when I was starting to get a little worried, he picked up a 400 page Redwall book and has been an avid reader ever since :)

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear this! My 1st grader has little interest in reading and gets so impatient during reading lessons. I'm hoping he'll pick up interest soon--his sister was reading so early in comparison. I guess that's why we shouldn't compare. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I have been trying to incorporate "Letter of the Week" lessons with my little one. She loves the stories and songs but could care less about anything else. LOL!

    ReplyDelete