Saturday, August 16, 2008

Heart of the Matter: Favorite Curriculum or Books


For the Heart of the Matter meme this week, they want us to share our Favorite Curriculum or Books. I have some great curriculum links on my side bar, so I thought I share some great books.

Teach your Child to read in 100 easy lessons -I used this to teach two of my boys to read when they were in Kindergarten,and I'm probably going to use it with my daughter as well. I love the fact that you can snuggle on the couch for 15 -20 minutes a day and after 100 lessons your child should be reading at a 2nd grade level. It is completely scripted so the parent knows exactly what to say to the child. The child also learns handwriting during these lessons. It is not phonics based, but I taught phonics later using flashcards, computer games and spelling.
The Usborne Math Dictionary- It is so handy to have a math dictionary-especially if math wasn't one of your best subjects. My Jr. High high students used it mostly, but it can be helpful even in High School. If my kids were doing a math page and something came up for review that they hadn't done in a while and needed help, they could look up how to do it in the Math Dictionary.

Drawing Textbook by Bruce McIntrye-This is a must have! You can purchase it through Timberdoodle for $8. It teaches drawing basics in such an easy way. I bought mine when my oldest was in Kindergarten and all my boys have used it. I can't say enough about it!

Missionary Stories with the Millers by Mildred A. Martin-A great read-aloud that I've read to my kids a number of times over the years. This book is a compilation of incredible true stories from missionaries all over the world.




1 comment:

  1. The Missionary Stories book sounds great - I'll have to look into that!

    Well ok ... and the math dictionary and drawing textoobk too, lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete