Friday, August 15, 2008

School Starts Soon!

I am very excited about the new school year starting! This is our 13th year of homeschooling, and I love starting fresh in the fall. We usually take the entire summer off and start school again the first week of September. This year, because we have so much going on for the next 2 weeks, we will probably start the second week of September.

Marsha commented that we have a busy year coming up, and I agree-especially for my 12th grader. I mentioned to my son that I thought that his senior year is going to be extremely full ( in my curriculum list for the year, I didn't even include drivers ed starting in Sept. and a big musical in the winter!), but he said he's very excited about it.

I've mostly been thinking about what I'm going to be teaching to Isaiah/12 and Christian/8. I wish I could use the same unit study book with them both, but there is just too big of an age gap. I will be using Five in a Row unit studies for Christian, and Beyond Five in a Row for Isaiah and coordinating as many units as I can, so that they will be studying many of the same topics at the same time. Mary's Mill is a great website for coordinating FIAR and BYFIAR.

I'm confident that it's going to be a great year! Sophie will be doing preschool, and I'm going to include her as much as I can when I'm teaching Christian. There are some great, inexpensive preschool books that I've used with my other children that I buy through Timberdoodle. I also read on someone's blog recently (can't remember where) about putting together a preschool box. It would include lots of educational play things that a preschooler can do mostly on their own. I'm definitely going to do this!

1 comment: