Saturday, October 23, 2010

Letting Go

It may not be too long before my oldest sons move out and I've been learning to let go. It's not easy as a mom to have two children who will probably leave home around the same time. Where has the time gone? How can this be happening already? But God has been preparing my heart.

For a while I was sad, and I often reminisced about "the good old days" when they were little. Life was so simple back then. We were at home most of the time. They always played together, they were best of friends (still are)! They would play outside for hours! I remember the year that I was teaching Andrew Kindergarten, there were so many days that I didn't want to stop their imaginative play to start school! I remember the hours we spent snuggled on the couch reading books like, Little house on the Prairie, Charlie and the Chocolate factory and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. We used to take walks together almost every afternoon....Such wonderful times!

But children grow up and they get jobs, find girlfriends, go to college and one day leave home. I am coming to peace with this now. For a while I was upset that they were gone all the time. This has been especially hard with my 17 yo, Charles, because he doesn't talk much.  It's been a little easier with Andrew because he talks to me about almost everything! But I've been letting go a little more and a little more. I think I'll be ready for the day that they are gone from home for good. They will always be my sons, and in time they will probably marry and I'll gain daughter-in-laws!

These days I have been admiring my sons for the amazing young men they've become! They are hard working, dependable, and caring. They love their younger siblings, and take time to listen to them and do things with them. They volunteer at church and in the community. They love God and they are happy with their lives. My son Charles is no longer the shy little boy, who was afraid to try new things, but he is now a confident young adult, who is a leader. Andrew is at college now and he is confident in who he is and what he believes. He is not judgmental and will talk to, and make friends with anyone. I am so proud of my sons!

2 comments:

  1. What a great post. It is my hope and prayer that I will be saying the same things about my sons in 10-12 years!

    ReplyDelete